Its been a long time since I made a progress report, and I’ve got lots to say. January was a great month! I’m going to do this in a more summarized way than I normally do since there is more for me to write than I have time for.
Preferences reorganization – A lot of work has gone into reorganizing, cleaning up, and fleshing out Camino’s preferences. There is more to be done, but they are looking much better! Instead of having a “Show all” setup, the default is not the “General” pane, which used to be called “Navigation.” Lots of the unweidly tabs setups in preference panes have been broken up, resulting in some all-new preferences panes. In general, preferences are more convenient and they look better. Also, there were some nasty crasher bugs in the prefs that have been fixed.
History rewrite – Simon Fraser landed a major rewrite of our history code. Not only is it faster, but it includes live searching, a nice update to the bookmark manager UI, bookmark and history sorting, and a bunch of other great stuff.
Address Book integration – we now have much better contextual menus for mailto: links, including an option to copy the email address and an option to add it to the address book. If the address is already in the address book, we offer to open the record.
Bookmark bar fixes – some aesthetic and drawing problems with the bookmark bar were fixed.
.webloc and .url file support – Lots of fixes for handling .webloc and .url files were made. Opening such files via drag-n-drop no longer opens a blank window. It is now possible to open such files with the “Open” menu command.
Code cleanup – lots of old, unused code was cleaned out. This includes the inactive code for our old bookmark drawer, broken bookmark detection, and some Carbon-build specific code.
Bug 166694 – local file names are now decoded before they are suggested in the save panel.
Bug 279844 – make sure that background tabs are sized correctly on creation and URL load, so that a later resize on show doesn’t mess with the scroll position.
Bug 277928 – fixed a crash on quit when there is an active download.
Miscellaneous fixes – Lots of smaller fixes have gone in since my last progress report. There are way too many for me to get into here.